Monday, July 20, 2015

MVP Interview Shu Lee

By Luke Derrick


Our MVP Series aims to interview each MVP of major tournaments, discussing the tournament and what they think earned them the title. Our second highlighted MVP is Shu Ying Lee, a beater for the Australian National Nargles (ANU), who was named MVP at Midwinter Championship 2015.


Photo by Ajantha Abey


QP: When did you start playing quidditch and how did you get into the sport?
Lee: I started playing around July last year when I saw the stall at Bush Week. It was only five bucks so I thought, ‘Hey, why not?’ I went to the first training and then was dragged to a dance class right after. I somehow decided to stick around.

QP: How did you feel the ANU/University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) team were going to perform at Midwinter? Were you surprised at your finish?
Lee: Hell yeah, I was surprised. I didn't know the USC players at all; I wasn't sure how they'd fit in and the ANU side was pretty small. After Day 1, I was pretty pessimistic about our chances when we won only two of our games, so I was really surprised when I found out we were in semis. But I never really cared about the scores or wins or any of the rankings throughout the tournament--yeah, I know, I'm a pretty crap captain. Everyone did really well, and working together with new people was pretty great.

QP: Were there any matches that really stood out for you as ones you played really well?
Lee: There are two that I felt pretty good about. One was against the Newcastle Fireballs and the other was against the University of Western Sydney (UWS) Thestrals. Playing against UWS forced me to learn new beating techniques. Their style was not easy for me to play against, but it was a good learning experience in things like controlling an area without a bludger. The match against Newcastle was satisfying and reassuring since I was able to take some hard hits and keep going. It was good to know that I can still function with more physical and aggressive beaters on field--especially Nicholas Allen, since the last time I played him it felt like I spent half the game in the dirt.

QP: How did you adapt your play throughout the tournament?
Lee: I do feel like there were some significant differences in my playing this weekend. More often than not, I was able to take a more defensive role thanks to Oscar Cozens stepping up. I also got to work on beating without a bludger and dealing with beaters trying to steal mine. As the game evolves, those two things are getting pretty important, I think, especially since I'm not quite strong enough to wrestle for the ball.  

QP: Do you feel like you are more of an individual player in terms of how you work on the field, or are you more team oriented?
Lee: I like to think that I'm more team oriented. When I play, I try to let people play to their strengths and cover their backs, whether they're beating partners or part of the chasing team or a seeker going for the snitch.

QP: What are your opinions on the fact that both the MVP for the QUAFL 2015 Oceania Championships and Midwinter were beaters? Do you think that really shows the importance of the position above all others?
Lee: I think it's easier to become MVP as a beater in the overall current style of playing, since beating is the one aspect of quidditch that has a direct influence on every other part. I wouldn't say it is the most important since a lack in any other position can also make or break a team. A beater can't get the quaffle through the hoops, nor can they catch the snitch, but having a good beater makes both of those things much easier. I’m trying really hard to not be biased towards my own favoured position here; am I succeeding?

QP: What do you personally think earned you the MVP trophy?
Lee: Doing noticeable things like getting/not getting flattened and catching bludgers. Also, being a small, Asian girl helped; I think people are more impressed or find me more memorable than the large, white guys on my team.


QP: Thanks for being interviewed for our MVP segment, Shu. We definitely appreciate your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment