Thursday, July 16, 2015

Malaysia's Second Team Gets Off the Ground

By Andrew Kasimir

Malaysia has a new team. Joining the Damansara Dementors are the MBPF Phoenixes, the country’s second active quidditch team. Based in Shah Alam, the MBPF Phoenixes are headed by Nadzirah Zainuddin and Najihah Malek. The MBPF in the team name is short for Malaysia’s Biggest Harry Potter Fans, which is a fan club headed by Nadzirah and Najihah. MBPF was founded after the release of the final Harry Potter movie with the intention of creating a place for Potterheads in Malaysia to gather online and offline.

The MBPF Phoenixes had their first practice on Saturday, June 6, 2015 at the field right in front of the Shah Alam Royal Theatre.

Photo Courtesy of MBPF Phoenixes

Quidditch Post (QP): Was this your first time playing quidditch? If it was, what did you expect prior to it?
Quorinna Korish Azahari (QU): It was my first time watching a real life quidditch game! I expected flying brooms, but to be honest I had no idea what to expect besides the fact that there are no flying brooms and what the tiny snitch would be represented by. I did manage to get the roles of the bludgers and the beaters as to what I imagined them to be like. The chasers are, well, the chasers.
Nadzirah Zainuddin (NZ): This was actually my third time playing quidditch; the first two times were with the Damansara Dementors.
Najihah Malek (NM): It was my second time but still so exciting and fun!
Qalleesya Korish Azahari (QA): Yes, it was my first time playing quidditch. I didn’t expect much to be honest, but I was expecting the bludgers to be people who would run into you and ram you down.
Photo Courtesy of MBPF Phoenixes

QP: Before this, did you know that quidditch was a thing in Malaysia?
QU: No, I did not! I didn't even know that it was played worldwide! And the fact that we have a team to represent Malaysia is incredible!
NM: I knew of the Damansara Dementors about a year or two ago. I'm really glad they started a team!
QA: Nope.

QP: What do you think about the game, and will you be back for more?
QU: In general, I think the game is awesome and exhausting. I didn't even play, but I know it would be very tiring the second "Brooms up!" is yelled. I would definitely be back to watch again!
NZ: Quidditch is something I have never done before and I was never into sports before this, so this is a great way for me to get a workout. It’s also really fun!
NM: I think it's a very fun sport. I love the fact that it is a combination of netball, handball, and dodgeball. It’s a great workout as well!
QA: It was awesome but so exhausting! Of course I’ll be back.

Photo Courtesy of MBPF Phoenixes

QP: Now that Malaysia has two active teams, are you looking forward to representing the MBPF Phoenixes in friendlies against the Damansara Dementors in the future?
QU: Would love to.
NZ: Definitely! I can’t wait for the friendlies.
NM: I helped set up this team, so I’d love to play in a friendly soon!
QA: Yeah, of course.

QP: Would you be interested in representing your team and maybe the Malaysian national team in quidditch tournaments?
QU: I don’t think I’d be very good at quidditch. I’ve got poor hand-eye coordination.
NM: Yes and yes. I’m looking forward to more training sessions and fantasy tournaments so that I can improve and become better at quidditch.
QA: Yes, it would be such an incredible experience.

If you would like to join the MBPF Phoenixes, email them at info.mbpf@gmail.com or drop them a message at their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment