Thursday, April 9, 2015

Best Non-Male Chaser: Sarah Holub

Over the past month, the Quidditch Post has been trying to answer the question: Who is the best quidditch player? Our judges and voters have narrowed it to six players and we’d like to give our readers a chance to meet each of these elites. Today, we talked to Sarah Holub, the best non-male chaser.
Photo by Monica Wheeler Photography

Quidditch Post: Congratulations on winning the best non-male chaser bracket. To what do you attribute your quidditch success?
Sarah: I think a lot of my success can be attributed to Kody Marshall's social media campaigning and presence on selection committees. Being a lifetime athlete and having talented teammates that motivate one another helps, too.

Quidditch Post: You say that as if you're not deserving, but you have won just about everything there is to win in quidditch. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Sarah: Winning the World Cup and lighting the UT Tower.

Quidditch Post: How would you describe your style of play?
Sarah: If I had to put it into words: I'm swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, and, generally speaking, mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

Quidditch Post: You mentioned your athletic background earlier; I assume you played sports growing up? Which sports?
Sarah: A lot of softball and volleyball. A little bit of basketball and track.

Quidditch Post: How about your life outside of quidditch? Hobbies? A career?
Sarah: Quidditch is usually my hobby-question answer! But I am currently a 1L at Baylor Law, so quidditch is the only activity I don’t have time for outside of class.

Quidditch Post: I know the feeling all too well. Do you have a sense of the type of law you want to practice yet?
Sarah: Nope, not yet. I’m hoping that it will become more apparent as I get further along.

Quidditch Post: How did you first start playing quidditch? What has kept you playing?
Sarah: I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting in the Union cafeteria on the University of Texas at Austin campus, and a Texas Quidditch advertisement popped onto one of the scrolling screens. I then convinced Hope Machala to go with me to one of the information meetings (although it didn't take that much convincing), and I was sold. I was originally looking for a competitive team sport, and that's exactly what I found. It's also what has kept me playing for so long. I get to play this sport with my favorite people, and they are the reason I still go to three-hour practices. Also, Kody's going to be playing until he's 80, so I'm stuck for a few more years.

Quidditch Post: So no plans to hang up the cleats any time soon?
Sarah: Nah. Just plans to tone down the time commitment. It's going to become way more casual for me after this World Cup... of course I say that now, and then I somehow always get sucked back in.

Quidditch Post: We've been concluding these with a bit of rapid fire. Favorite color?
Sarah: Teal!

Quidditch Post: Favorite food?
Sarah: Donuts!

Quidditch Post: Favorite musician/artist?
Sarah: Disney songs!

Quidditch Post: I guess that explains the Mulan reference. Favorite season?
Sarah: Fall!

Quidditch Post: Favorite (non-quidditch) athlete?
Major Applewhite! (Literally the first person who popped into my head. I don't even know why).

Quidditch Post: Not often I have to look someone up. Lucky number?
Sarah: 11!

Quidditch Post: Thanks, Sarah; we appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment