Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My BQC Experience: The Fry Under the Chip

First of all, it was a pleasure to take part in such a great quidditch event in Europe given that I am a freshly certified snitch. I would like to thank all the people who were involved in the organization of this competition, all the teams who came from all over the UK in order to compete for the championship title! Thanks to Benoît Esmein for helping me with the translation from French. A big thanks to Nicole Stone who certified me, helped me, and looked after me during the entire tournament. And, last but not least, thanks to Lisa who helped me write this article when I had a lack of inspiration by giving me some words that I had to put in the text (by the way, she thought up the title)!
Before going to the British Quidditch Cup (BQC) 2014-15, I had the chance to see the UK seekers at work in some fantasy tournaments, such as Tournoi international de La Violette in Toulouse and Valentines Cup II in Oxford. I was super excited just thinking about snitching against such talented players. Moreover, the competition took place at Wollaton Hall, which was used as the set of the Wayne Manor in Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy! So even more excitement!
The pitches were ready, as were the referee teams, so there was only one thing left: brooms up! I snitched one of the first games: Keele Squirrels vs. Derby Union Quidditch. Ok, now it was really on! One of Keele’s seekers (Ben Morton) had a personal grudge with me after two previous confrontations. But before confronting the seekers, a good warm-up was needed: a bit of running, a bit of work on the old muscles and joints, and a few drills from US football. Then it was time to enter the pitch! Private Plog reporting for duty to Officer Stone! Ready to valiantly defend his life on the pitch! The fight began against the two seekers who both wanted my snitch tail. I can’t remember if I reached the second handicap during the game, but I remember pretty well how the catch was made: by Derby’s seeker Charlie Schofield, between my legs while I was going backward! Congratulations to him!
Between this game and my second shift as a snitch runner, I helped out as goal referee and score-keeper. I even found the time to walk around Wayne Manor, but I didn’t manage to find the Batcave!
The schedule was altered a bit. I walked around the pitches, available for the referee teams, and was called to snitch the game between the Radcliffe Chimeras of Oxford University Quidditch Club and the Bristol Brizzlepuffs (big quove to them!). Like the first game, while the game was going on, I did my warm up routine and wondered what sauce the seekers would eat me with. When I entered the pitch, the Oxford team was leading the score but, to my great surprise, David Goswell, one of the Chimera seekers, ran to defend me while the other seeker, Dominic Ayre tried to catch me… has the world been turned upside down?! On the one hand, a will to score more points and on the other hand, a desire to finish with honour… I don’t know, but I found that situation a bit weird! Finally, the Brizzlepuff seeker put an end to the game after a small fight against the two seekers without having my arms to defend myself.
My last game of the day was the Bangor Broken Broomsticks vs. the Flying Chaucers of Canterbury. Here again the team in the lead in the quaffle game (Bangor) defended me in order to have a higher score against the less experienced Flying Chaucers. What I liked the most about this game was the Flying Chaucers’ seeker. She was the only one seeking for her team, the Bangor seekers were going hard on her, but she always came back into the fight with a big smile! Like the previous game the defensive seeker changed into a hunter and, after a skilful manoeuvre, the Bangor seeker finally caught me.
It was the end of a really great day, full of discoveries and pleasures! After a shower and a meal in an English pub (and a beer of course, because we didn’t go to a pub just to sit there), we headed to the Saturday night social. There was no DJ but there was a good atmosphere among all the people who are there. Oh well, I suppose one DJ was there—me! My real name is Denis Jourdan! After some time chatting it was time to go to sleep in our hosts’ house. A really big thanks to them once again—you’re the best, Andrew Johnston and Laura Broad!
The second day began! I started it with one of the last pool games: Durhamstrang vs. the Nottingham Nightmares. I think it was my worst snitch game of the weekend. I don’t know why, but I had some trouble getting my head in the game. This game reminded me of one very important thing: keep your eyes peeled at all times, and then some! Then, at last, came the moment I had waited for so long: a game against Fiona Howat of the London Unspeakables, otherwise known as “Brienne of Tarth!” I have seen her on many pitches since my first tournament in Barcelona and have always wanted to snitch against her. Now I have! I have to say that I greatly enjoyed snitching against her. It was a great duel and this girl deserves her nickname of Tarth. She is a real knight who comes back every time to charge with the same intensity and the same will to floor her enemy. I apologize for not talking about the other seekers more here, well done to them for their game too!
Another seeker I wanted to face as a snitch at the BQC was Dale King-Evans from the Oxford Quidlings. My wish was granted because I faced Dale during the game between the Quidlings and the Falmouth Falcons! I teased Dale a bit before entering the pitch by telling them that they had the wrong headband on (even if it was just to reduce the rising pressure, the guy is still quite impressive). A little tap on the seekers’ cheek before taking my place on the pitch and here we go, the ballet began! From my memory the score was tied and the two seekers were after me from the beginning. Sometimes they played against each other while I was flying away and watched them. Sometimes one of them managed to win his face-to-face and the hostilities against me began. I remember that I had to run a lot to save my life. One of the Falmouth seekers came close to catching me while I was running. I finally surrendered after a good game from everyone. I really enjoyed this game too!
We had a little break before the beginning of the semifinals. The tournament director James Burnett came to tell me that I will snitch for either the third-place playoff or the final. Ok… it’s my first official tournament as a snitch and I got the possibility to snitch such games… no pressure! No not all (of course this is sarcastic)! The verdict came after the games and it was official, I would be snitching the final between the Radcliffe Chimeras and Southampton Quidditch Club 1! Yeehah! That was super great!!
To give me some courage I asked the head referee, Dave Goddin, if I could do the brooms up wearing my Paris Titans jersey. He was ok with that and he has my eternal gratitude for it! After brooms up, I put my beanie on my head, music on, turned my focus up to 200 percent, and started my warm-up. I worked on the parts that were beginning to hurt more than the others. Playing this final as a snitch was more than an honor for me. The closer I got to the seeker floor the more I could feel the adrenaline rush! Before entering the pitch for the final I checked my insurance policy and discovered that it does not cover quidditch. I will call my insurance provider to correct that point! So, it’s show time! Our guardian of the snitches galaxy Nicole gives me the green light to enter the pitch of the BQC 2 final.
When the seekers entered the pitch I knew that Southampton’s one would defend me. That left me in peace for a bit in this no man’s land to assess the situation and what was going on the pitch. Time went by; Southampton’s defence was effective and its attack scored. Then came the time when Southampton managed to get within snitch range. I saw it in the seeker’s eyes as he turned into hunter mode. Be brave! Run away! The fight was more intense now that the two seekers were in the game. The two teams sent out their seeker substitutes. It’s cheating a bit; the snitch can’t sub out. Fortunately he has the snitch ref and the audience to give him a bit of support. Southampton sent out Dugald “the machine”, as I like to call him, to put an end to my life. I survived a bit longer with one arm and ended up being caught after some assaults with no first defensive curtain.
But! As it was a final we wanted to make the pleasure last! Overtime! I was asking myself if falling down and waving a white flag would not be a better idea. Good point, my two arms were back as if by magic! But even with this defensive bonus I didn’t last too long on the pitch. A really big mistake and a well-executed play from Dugald put an end to the suspense that everyone was held in: Southampton wins BQC 2! Congratulations to them! Congratulations also to the Chimeras who never gave up until the end!
To sum up this weekend: I had more than 200 percent of fun and I learned a lot too! I would like to say ‘Thank you’ to everyone because it is due to you that these events are so awesome! The event was perfect but one thing was missing: pod speakers with a bit of music (just being nitpicky here)! And after a tough snitching day nothing is better than Indian food to recover! See you next time on the pitch!
Plog




Mon expérience à la BQC !

Tout d’abord c’était un plaisir de participer à un tel événement quidditch en Europe surtout que je suis certifié vif d’or seulement depuis peu. Je voudrais remercier toutes les personnes qui ont pris part à l’organisation de cette compétition, toutes les équipes qui se sont déplacées afin de batailler pour le titre ! Merci à Benoît pour son regard de traducteur aguerri. Un grand merci à Nicole Stone qui m’a certifié, aidé, conseillé, et qui a veillé sur moi pendant toute la durée de la compétition. Et enfin, merci à Lisa qui m’a aidé dans la rédaction de cet article en me donnant des mots à utiliser impérativement !
Avant de me rendre à la BQC j’avais pu voir à l’œuvre les attrapeurs anglais dans des compétitions non-officielles comme la coupe de la Violette à Toulouse ou la Valentine’s Cup II à Oxford. J’étais très excité à l’idée d’affronter de tels adversaires ! De plus la compétition prenait place sur les terres du Wollaton Hall, lieu ayant servi de décor au manoir de Bruce Wayne dans la saga The Dark Knight ! Donc encore plus d’excitation !
Les terrains étaient prêts, les équipes arbitrales en place, il ne restait plus qu’une chose à faire : commencer ! J’étais vif d’or sur un des premiers matchs : Keele – Derby. Ok ça commence vraiment ! Un des attrapeurs de Keele (Ben Morton) a une revanche personnelle à prendre sur moi après deux confrontations. Mais avant d’aller en découdre avec les attrapeurs il faut bien s’échauffer : un peu de courses, un peu de travail musculaire, travail sur les articulations et quelques exos appris au foot US. Et maintenant c’est l’heure d’entrer sur le terrain ! Soldat Plog au rapport Nicole Stone ! Prêt à défendre ardemment sa vie sur le terrain ! Le combat s’engage contre les deux attrapeurs qui en veulent à ma balle. Je ne me souviens plus si j’ai atteint le deuxième handicap sur ce match, mais je me souviens très bien comment le catch a été réalisé : par l’attrapeur de Derby, Charlie Schofield, entre les jambes, pendant que je reculais ! Bravo à lui!
Entre ce match et mon second service en tant que vif d’or j’ai un peu aidé en tant que goal ref et score keeper. J’ai eu le temps de faire le tour extérieur du manoir de M. Wayne sans pour autant trouver la Bat Cave !
Le planning ayant été un peu chamboulé je déambule entre les terrains, à la disposition des équipes arbitrales. Je suis alors appelé pour snitcher sur le match entre l’équipe des Radcliffe Chimeras et des Bristol Brizzlepuffs (Big quove à eux !). Pareil, pendant que le match se déroule je fais ma petite routine d’échauffement me demandant à quelle sauce je vais être mangé par les attrapeurs des Chimeras. À mon entrée sur le terrain, l’équipe d’Oxford mène au score mais, à ma grande surprise, David Goswell, l’attrapeur des Chimeras, vient me défendre alors que l’attrapeur adverse, Dominic Ayre tente de m’attraper… C’est un peu le monde à l’envers ! Une volonté de marquer plus de point d’un côté, d’en finir avec les honneurs de l’autre… Je ne sais pas mais toujours est-il que cette situation est très perturbante ! Finalement l’attrapeur des Brizzlepuffs met fin au match après un petit bout de combat tout de même contre les deux attrapeurs, sans mes bras pour me défendre.
Mon dernier match de la journée de samedi a vu s’affronter les Bangor Broken Broomsticks contre les Flying Chausers. Là encore, l’équipe en tête aux points (Bangor) m’a défendu pendant un petit moment pour faire monter le score contre la jeune équipe des FC. Ce qui m’a plus dans ce match c’est que l’attrapeuse des FC était sans arrêts malmenée par les attrapeurs adverses qui se relayaient sur le pitch, et à chaque fois elle revenait avec le sourire. Comme lors du précédent match, le défenseur est devenu chasseur et après une habile manœuvre de sa part, l’attrapeur des BBB m’a finalement attrapé.
Fin de cette journée très enrichissante, pleine de découvertes et de plaisirs ! Après une bonne douche nous mangeons un bout dans un pub anglais (et on boit une bière, parce qu’on n’est pas venu là pour être ici) pour finir par rejoindre la soirée commune. Pas de DJ dans la salle, mais une très bonne ambiance entre tout le monde encore présent… Enfin si, je me rends compte qu’un DJ était présent à cette soirée : moi ! (mon nom étant Denis Jourdan). Après un petit moment de papotage il était temps de renter pour se reposer chez nos hôtes du week-end (encore un grand merci à eux pour leur accueil ! AJ et Laura vous êtes les meilleurs!).
Début du deuxième jour ! Je commence ma journée avec le dernier match de poule de Durhamstrang vs Nottingham Nightmares. Je pense que ce match est ma plus mauvaise prestation de snitch du week-end. Je ne sais pas, j’ai eu du mal à y entrer dedans. Ce match m’a rappelé une chose essentielle : la concentration doit toujours être à son maximum et même au-delà ! Vient ensuite, enfin le moment tant attendu du tournoi : un match contre Fiona Howat des London Unspeakables ! Je la vois sévir sur les terrains depuis mon premier tournoi à Barcelone et j’ai toujours eu envie de me mesurer à elle ! C’est maintenant chose faite ! Je dois dire que j’ai beaucoup apprécié snitcher contre elle. C’était un beau duel et la demoiselle mérite bien son surnom de « Tarth ». C’est un vrai chevalier qui revient sans cesse à la charge avec la même intensité dans le combat et la même volonté de terrasser son ennemi. Je m’excuse de ne pas parler des autres attrapeurs ici, bravo à eux pour leur match également !
Autre personne que je souhaitais croiser sur mon chemin de snitch à la BQC : Dale des Oxford Quidlings. Mon vœu a été exaucé puisque j’ai pu l’affronter lors d’un match entre les Quidlings contre les Falmouth Falcons ! Je le charrie un peu avant de rentrer sur le terrain en lui disant qu’il s’est trompé de bandeau (même si c’était plus pour évacuer la pression montante qu’autre chose, il en impose tout de même le petit père). Une petite tape sur les fesses pour les deux attrapeurs avant de prendre position sur le pitch et c’est parti, le ballet commence ! De mémoire le score était serré et je me suis retrouvé avec les deux attrapeurs sur le dos dès le début de mon entrée en jeu. Parfois ils se chamaillaient, ce qui me laisser le temps de m’éloigner pour les observer de loin. Parfois l’un d’entre eux parvenait à prendre le dessus sur l’autre et les hostilités à mon égard commençaient. Je me souviens avoir beaucoup couru pour sauver ma peau, m’être presque fait attraper par un joueur des Falcons dans la course justement. Je finis par rendre les armes après un bon match de part et d’autre. J’ai vraiment apprécié ce match !
Une petite pause avant de commencer les demi-finales. Le directeur du tournoi, James Burnett, vient me voir pour m’annoncer que je snitcherai soit sur le match de la 3ème place, soit sur la finale. Ok… c’est ma toute première compétition officielle et j’ai la possibilité de faire ce genre de match… pas de pression ! Non pas du tout ! Le verdict tombe après les demies, je vais faire la finale qui verra s’opposer les Radcliffe Chimeras à Southampton 1 ! Wouhou c’est trop génial !!
Pour me donner un peu de courage, je demande au head ref de la finale si je peux faire le brooms up avec mon maillot Titans, ce qu’il accepte et je l’en remercie grandement ! Après le brooms up, je mets mon bonnet sur la tête, musique en marche, concentration à fond, échauffement en cours, je travaille un peu plus les parties du corps qui commencent à tirer la sonnette d’alarme. Faire cette finale en tant que snitch est plus qu’un honneur pour moi. Plus mon heure arrive plus l’adrénaline monte ! Avant d’entrée en piste je vérifie rapidement mon contrat d’assurance et je constate à nouveau que le quidditch n’est pas couvert… Faudra que j’appelle ma conseillère pour remédier à ça ! Bon, il est l’heure de monter sur le ring pour un dernier combat ! Nicole, notre gardienne de la galaxie snitch me donne le feu vert pour entrer sur le terrain de cette finale de la BQC II.
À la vue des premières actions il semble que Southampton soit mené au score, ce qui me laisse un peu de répit et un moment pour analyser la situation et les forces en présence sur le terrain. Le temps passe, la défense de Southampton tient et l’attaque marque. Et vient le moment fatidique où Southampton parvient à revenir à hauteur de catch et je vois dans le regard de l’attrapeur que maintenant il est passé en mode chasseur. Courage ! Fuyons ! Le combat se fait plus intense maintenant que les deux attrapeurs sont de la partie. Les deux équipes font tourner les attrapeurs qui restent frais. C’est un peu tricher, le snitch ne peut pas tourner lui. Heureusement le snitch ref et le public sont là pour lui donner un peu de soutien. Southampton envoie Dugald ou « la machine », pour mettre fin à ma vie. Je survis encore un peu avec un seul bras puis finis par céder après quelques assauts où je suis sans premier rideau de défense.
Mais, comme c’est une finale, on fait durer le plaisir ! Overtime ! Je me tâte à me jeter par terre et hisser le drapeau blanc ! Bon, au moins je récupère mes deux bras qui repoussent comme par magie ! Mais malgré ce regain de bonus défensif je ne tiens pas tellement longtemps. Une grossière erreur d’inattention et un très bon jeu de Dugald mettent fin au suspense que tout le monde attend: Southampton remporte la BQC II. Félicitations à eux, félicitations également aux Chimeras d’Oxford qui n’ont rien lâché jusqu’au bout !
En conclusion de ce week-end : je me suis amusé à 200 %, j’ai beaucoup appris ! Je remercie encore une fois tout le monde, car c’est grâce à vous que ces événements sont magiques ! Si je devais me permettre, un seul petit point négatif : il manquait des enceintes avec un peu de musiques sur les bords des terrains, mais c’est vraiment pour chercher la petite bête ^^’. Et puis après une journée si riche en émotions, quoi de mieux que des plats indiens pour retrouver un peu de force ! À une prochaine fois sur les terrains!
Plog

No comments:

Post a Comment