Wednesday, February 18, 2015

80 in 80: TC Frost

As part of our efforts to preview all 80 teams competing in USQ World Cup 8, the Quidditch Post is chatting with representatives from each team. Today we spoke with Luke Zak, coach of TC Frost.
Photo by Rachael Hawley

Quidditch Post: First, congrats on qualifying two years in a row. What is the team looking forward to most about this World Cup?
Luke: Thank you for the congratulations. It's always an incredible feeling qualifying for World Cup. From a personal perspective, I cannot express how proud I am of every individual on our team for helping us power through our way to earning a bid. With a small squad last year and a roster of only 12 at the regional championship this go around, it is a true test for Frost to compete against full teams of 21. The Midwest has seen what we are able to pull off when it counts, but I cannot wait to see how the matches fall against nationwide competition following a year of experience since Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. As for the team, despite the name, I think it will be amped to finally play a few games where wind chill isn't a factor.

QP: Haha, I'm with you! These Midwest winters are killer! What goals do you have for World Cup?
Luke: Last year, we went into World Cup as a Pot Five team with no expectations. With our 12 players, we held substantial bludger control over some of the best beaters in the Northeast, had a few games where we put up a much bigger fight than the final score reflected, and even came through with a victory over the University of South Florida Quidditch, which I'm confident nobody anticipated.
Though the format has changed, I think there is definitely room for measurable improvement. While, realistically, bracket play is beyond a long shot, I believe that if we play to our strengths, we can come back from South Carolina with at least a couple more wins on our record. I will love seeing how TC Frost fares in a system where each matchup is more and more evenly paired.


QP: Speaking of matchups, are there any teams in particular you would like to face?
Luke: Being an honest community team, I've always enjoyed playing other ones as well. Up until recently, I probably would have chosen a match against the Lost Boys, as I've been a fan and friend since before the team even officially formed. But two nights ago, I had a dream that we got pitted against Arizona Quidditch Club (AZQC). I was immediately excited to play against that team, and I haven't been able to shake that notion since waking.


QP: What's so exciting about playing AZQC in your mind? And would you maybe walk the readers through that dream? That sounds incredibly interesting.
Luke: Being its first year, I honestly don't know as much about AZQC as I'd like to since I have never seen it play. I just know a handful of great people on that team, and I think perhaps we would match up well in style and character. I have a hunch that it would be the kind of game where both teams would leave feeling great about how they played. As for the dream, it involved several uncles of mine, railroad tracks, and salsa. It was a bit confusing, as dreams tend to be, but a more detailed description can be found on my Facebook wall if anybody is invested.


QP: Haha, it sounds fantastic. So, what is it going to take for TC Frost to achieve its goals at this year's World Cup?
Luke: There a few factors involved. With most of the World Cup VII iteration of TC Frost returning, the pillars of a solid team have already been in place. From there, it has just been a matter of filling in the positions to round out the field. I think with the continued training that Minnesotan winters allow and by attending a couple tournaments prior to World Cup to work out kinks, we will be more than prepared to achieve our goals this April.


QP: Who are some players who will make a big impact for TC Frost in Rock Hill, South Carolina?
Luke: There are a few players who have grown a lot in their roles on the team. Matt Bessard has become a reliable and stalwart keeper, really stepping up this season. Alex Obanor is an excellent utility player who was unable to travel to World Cup with us last year and will likely turn heads as well. Tia Tourville and Zane Kaiser held our strategic beating game together with impressive consistency as rookie players last season, and their chemistry has continued to strengthen their abilities. Honorable mention Tim Clemens once had the manliest of man buns, though he recently received a haircut; keep an eye out for its return at USQ Nationals 2017.


QP: Oh no. Man buns are the best. I will be following along closely, waiting for its return, haha. Anyhow, I think that just about covers it. Thank you very much for your time, Luke. And best of luck to TC Frost the rest of this season!
Luke: Of course. It was a pleasure chatting. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment